Q: Headgasket

hello i just bought an e34 for 4500 in mint condition,only thing is that the head gasket developped a small leak,should i be worri

Hi There, Thanks for writing in. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and perhaps few other symptoms. A failure between cylinders will cause compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression results in a rough idling engine. Damage of this type may not cause overheating, coolant in the oil or any other outward sign. Many people overlook this as the cause of engine misfires, because the blown head gasket does not also give the other more common symptoms. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted. This type of failure may not show with a compression test. Pressuring the cooling system and then starting the engine, may make the misfire more noticeable. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.