Q: Head gasket or engine rebuild.

asked by on September 01, 2017

Is it better to get a new engine or fix the head gasket. Mechanic quoted me 1800 for a head gasket repair but said for 600-800 dollars more i can get a new engine. Forgot if its rebuild or new.
He said the bottom end of the engine will give out in 6-8 months after i fix the head gasket. Is this true? What is your advice?

Hi Chris. Thanks for contacting us today. The problem with repairing a head gasket issue is that it’s impossible to know what other damage has occurred inside the motor. Quite often a head gasket becomes damaged due to overheating issues. This introduces water or coolant into the combustion chamber, which can rapidly damage pistons, connecting rods and especially bearings. So, your mechanic is correct as the possibility of internal damage makes it better to replace the engine.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr