Q: Having a hard time starting the vehicle, would the key fob cause this? Car battery not dead, starts sometimes. 2002 Mercedes S430

The vehicle will not start all the time. At first I thought it was the steering wheel was locked but that doesn't seem to be the case. I think it's the key fob. The vehicle's battery is not dead so it's not that. Would it be that I need a new key fob? If so, How much for the fob and how much for the programming?

Hi Dawn. Thanks for the question today. A faulty Key Fob tends to either work - or not work, meaning it usually is not sporadic like the issue you’re describing. When that occurs, the fault is the battery inside the key fob, which can be easily replaced by following the instructions listed in your owner manual. It also depends on what is happening when you are attempting to start the vehicle. If you can turn the ignition over (meaning it will crank but will not start), then it’s likely a fuel or ignition system component causing the issue. If it can’t turn over at all, then that could mean a faulty electrical relay, or even battery terminals that are not working as well as they should. To ensure you have the right repairs completed, you should probably have a mobile mechanic come to your location to complete an onsite inspection, this way - you can save time and money.

3. Having a hard time starting the vehicle, would the key fob cause this? Car battery not dead, starts sometimes. 2002 Mercedes S430