Q: Hatchback needs sway bar replaced

My mechanic reported that my hatchback was missing the right front sway bar and needs a new one installed. So I agreed for him to do this. I drove after the repair job and there was a rattle-type noise underneath the car. Took the car back to the mechanic he said the new sway bar is putting too much pressure on the left front sway bar and thus another new replacement is needed. I’ve researched and diagrams look like there’s only one front sway bar. Are there two front sway bars in a GTI?

A: Hello. There is only one front <a href='htt...

Hello. There is only one front sway bar on the vehicle. The sway bar is connected on both ends with link pins. There are two of those so that may be what he is talking about. They should always be replaced in pairs so you may be hearing the old one making noise. I would have it replaced also if that is what is recommended.