Q: Grinding noise when I shift into gear, when in "park", car rolls down driveway.

I was driving on the road when suddenly & unexpectedly I couldn't get acceleration when depressing the gas pedal. I shifted into lower gear & was able to feel acceleraton when I depressed the gas pedal,then after a few moments again same thing happened, I continued to downshift & shift into "drive" and did this continually until I was able to reach my home, this appears to be gears not engaging, is this costly to repair?

Hi there. The issue with your transmission seems to have a few problems. First there is a park arm that locks your transmission in park. If the park arm is working, the transmission will not move the car. First check the shifter cable to the transmission and see if its broken or has stretched. If the cable is attached tightly, then there could be an issue within the transmission. The grinding noise sounds like a gear or thrust bearing that has failed and is causing the transmission to burn away the clutch frictions. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission grinding noise.

• Grinding noise when I shift into gear, when in "park", car rolls down driveway.