Q: Grinding coming from tail shaft area of transmission while releasing the gas pedal traveling 25 miles per hour

asked by on June 03, 2017

Truck has been operating perfectly fine pulled away from my job heard clicking a couple of times as I was traveling I release the gas in effort to hear the noise better when I release the gas horrible grinding crunching sounds come from under the vehicle I Rose the rear tires on jack stands put in gear and heard the same noise felt transmission tail shaft and seems like it may be coming from that area

Hi there. The grinding sound may be coming from a rear output shaft. In most cases, the transmission yoke or output shaft will wear out over time, or when the inner seal has broken. The grinding is typically due to lack of lubrication inside the joint. It could also be caused by an internal transmission component. It is probably a good idea to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is making a noise inspection, so they can test drive the vehicle and isolate the source of this grinding noise and recommend the right repairs.