Q: Going through a lot of brake pads on 2009 Honda Civic

My 2009 Honda Civic goes through brakes faster than any other car I’ve owned. I've had to replace the brake pads at least once a year since I bought the car. In addition, the rotors have been replaced and the new ones resurfaced already! The cost of this problem is really starting to add up and I need to find a solution. The car only has 65,000 miles on it and I can’t do 100,000 more miles with brakes wearing out so fast. What can I do?

A: There are numerous factors which impact the...

There are numerous factors which impact the life of brakes including frequency of use (ie, a commute in stop and go traffic vs open highway), how hard you stop, brake hardness/softness, and rotor condition. When brake pads are replaced, it is always a good idea to have the rotor turned to prolong the life of the pads. Putting new pads on worn rotors will cause pads to wear faster due to the rotors having a rough surface and may also contribute to noise. Brake noise is one of the most common customer complaints. Manufacturers are always trying to reduce or eliminate this concern. They will often use a softer compound of material on brake pads to reduce noise, however the softer compound results in faster wear. There are different compounds of brake pads in the aftermarket which might last longer but may produce noise when braking. Also, some compounds do not have the proper stopping power until they reach a certain temperature. You may have to try different makes of aftermarket pads to find ones you’re happy with, considering wear vs. noise. To have your vehicle inspected, please contact YourMechanic and one of our technicians will be happy to assist.