Q: Getting slight electric shocks from the rocker panel and door panel on a '97 Corolla

97 Corolla with a 4AFE. I often get a slight electric shock from the rocker panel and the door panel after a long drive. I think it has a failed ground. Any prime suspects? The car has a slight front axle on the left side.

A: Actually, this is not a problem with the gr...

Actually, this is not a problem with the grounding of the car itself. That’s just your car building static electricity. Some cars just do that when they are older. You can actually buy grounding equipment. I’ve seen people use those little fender fillers that fall down and touch the ground when the car stops. This will ground the car and won’t let you get zapped.

You can have one of those if you want, but here’s a trick that I do all the time and it works fine:

If you’re getting zapped when you get out of the car, hold your keys in your hand, and with the key in your hand touch the door lock. The spark will go from the end of the key to the door and it will ground the car, and you won’t get zapped.