Q: Gears lock when put in park

Lately, I've been having an issue with the gear shift. When put in park, it would lock up every time. Then I have to unlock it manually. How can I fix this?

A: It sounds like there is an issue with the s...

It sounds like there is an issue with the shifter interlock solenoid. Either the solenoid is not retracting when the brake pedal is depressed or the brake pedal signal is not being sent or processed to activate the shift lock solenoid.

This circuit will have to be diagnosed in order to determine the cause and replacement part necessary for the correction. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have access to the wiring diagrams and have the expertise to diagnose your shifting issue.