Q: Gear shiftebr out sync with shift indicator

Shift indicator is in the park position, but the car is actually in reverse! Neutral position is drive gear, ... Cant take key out ... turned car off in neutral and set park brwke over night.

Help pplllleeeaaasseee!

Edmonton Canada.

A: Hi there. This sounds like the shift linkag...

Hi there. This sounds like the shift linkage cable has either stretched, come loose, or is in need of an adjustment or replacement. Inspect the cable attachment points at the transmission and at the shift lever to see if the cable has come loose from the mount. If the cable has come loose and will not stay, then it will need to be replaced. I would suggest locating the adjustment points, however the amount of adjustment to correct your symptom may be too much. YourMechanic has several available technicians to assist you with a car will not shift into park inspection.