Q: Fuel gauge not reading correctly

My fuel gauge moves erratically and sometimes does not show how much gas is left. It was diagnosed with a code P0463.

A: Code P0463 is a code for fuel level Circuit...

Code P0463 is a code for fuel level Circuit A having an issue. The most likely candidate is a faulty fuel level sensor in the gas tank. The sensor has a float on the end of an arm that connects to a potentiometer that changes electrical resistance as the arm sweeps across the potentiometer. A worn spot in the potentiometer will cause a loss in being able to read the fuel level. Because of the nature of this type of repair which will need to open the fuel tank and replace the sensor I would recommend you enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the training and experience to safely make this repair as opening the fuel tank can cause hazardous fuel vapor to escape and possibly ignite.