Q: Fuel economy worse than advertised

I feel a little deceived, I have driven my 2012 GMC Terrain 30,000 miles now and I have never gotten fuel mileage as good as what was advertised. I drive gently and don’t speed. Even on long trips where the roads were straight and clear, less mpg than advertised. I like the car, but GMC had to have known their numbers were bogus. Is there a way to ask for a reimbursement for the spent fuel?

Fuel mileage is a sensitive topic no matter how it is discussed. Some drivers boast high numbers and really tally the fuel usage. Still others just fill up and do a rough estimation based on gut feeling. Before the discussion can start, some math needs to be used here. Some vehicles will display the fuel mileage for you, and this is done as an estimation in many cases, disregard this for now and get a small notebook. Go fill the tank and then write down the mileage in the notebook, also reset your trip computer. Now drive normally for a tank of gas or so. Go back to the gas station and note how many gallons it took to refill. Divide that amount into the mileage driven and that will give you the true Miles Per Gallon. 258 miles driven, 12 gallons of gas, means you got 21.5 MPG. Now that you have done your homework, compare it to your MPG readout to see if they match.

3. Fuel economy worse than advertised