Q: Front passenger side wheel has play after repairs

While driving on the interstate, I started noticing that there was play in my front passenger side wheel. There doesn't seem to be any play when turning. I replaced the bearings after taking apart the wheel assembly. But that didn't solve anything. I’m thinking it might be the CV-joint because when under the car examining the part where the CV-joint and bearings attach, if I wiggle the wheel there is an area that is moved by the CV-joint and bearings. There is an intermittent rumbling sound from the front passenger side when driving at different speeds. It happens more when driving straight and not when turning. It kind of feels like a lug nut is loose. I've already examined them and they are tightened to factory specs. Also, there is nothing unusual, nor noticeable when going over bumps. What is your diagnosis and how can I fix my car?

Hello there. Many different things may be causing play in the front of your 1997 Nissan 200SX. The wheel bearings can definitely be at fault and cause the growling noise. With the bearing already replaced, other possible causes would be the strut mount, CV axle, or brake rotor assembly. Your best bet in this case may be to have a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your wheels, steering, and suspension, in order to have the correct repairs done.