Q: Front differential not working properly

My 4wd doesn't work, the actuator works and the shift motor works. I lifted the entire truck and put it in 4 hi and the front wheels spin, but I can stop them by hand. There are no grinding noises or anything out of the ordinary. I have just replaced the cv axles and hubs. What would be the problem in the front differential?

Hi there, thanks for writing in. If the tires can be stopped and the driveshaft continues to spin, then there is an actuator assembly issue in the front differential. If the driveshaft stops spinning, then the problem may be in the transfer case which is much more common. I usually determine which one it is first and then drain the fluid in that system and look for metal. If metal is found then there is a problem and either one will need to be rebuilt. I would have a transmission specialist take a look at this. Hope this helps and best of luck!