Q: My 2010 Ford Ranger is not shifting right

We have a 2010 Ford Ranger with a 2.3 and an automatic transmission. The truck will shift if you take it out of overdrive or if you shift it manually but once we put it in overdrive, it shifts very very hard or not at all. Does this mean the transmission need to be rebuilty or replaced?

Hi there. When this occurs on this transmission it is almost always due to an internal issue with the transmission. The most common issue I have seen is a failure in the front sprag assembly. When this assembly fails the transmission will act like this. In some cases it can be a shift solenoid, but most of the time that will turn on the check engine light and set a code. It sounds like you are going to need to have the transmission rebuilt. I would recommend that you have the vehicle checked out by a transmission specialist.

3. My 2010 Ford Ranger is not shifting right