Q: Fluid leak and continued straining sounds - 1990 Honda Accord

My car started making a loud straining sound when I turn the steering wheel. I added power steering fluid, but the liquid still leaks a lot and the sound continue. What is the problem? Big or small? Will it cost a lot to fix?

A: With a vehicle that is over 25 years old yo...

With a vehicle that is over 25 years old you could have more than one leak in the power steering system and should have a leak inspection done.

The power steering pressure hose from the pressure pump and the rack and pinion is the most common cause of a rapid leak. Since the vehicle may have more than one leak the rack and pinion assembly may be leaking on the end seals or sector shaft seals and would need to be replaced.

The power steering pump may have to be replaced after the leaks are fixed since it may have been run dry of fluid and now will not pump enough pressure from internal wear and possible damage.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians will be able to come to your home or office to diagnose the power steering leak firsthand and help you fix it accordingly.