Q: Engines blowing up due to wrong oil

How many cars have you seen that the engine blow up because the customer put in the wrong oil and never changed it?

More than I can remember--a whole bunch of them. Putting in the wrong oil generally doesn’t make them blow up. It might make it wear a little bit longer or run a little harder or colder, unless you put in 50 weight racing oil in a car that uses 0W10 oil--that can cause problems.

You should get your oil changed regularly. It’s just something that you will want to do to preserve the car. Engines are really expensive. Nowadays, modern engines all use what is called "variable valve timing," with a whole cam actually moving back and forth and there are tiny little holes inside that the oil has to go through. That oil pressure makes it work and dirty oil ruins those systems. It can cost you thousands of dollars to fix it, whereas oil changing doesn’t cost that much. So, make sure to change your oil regularly.