Q: Engine swap details needed. I need to know if the swap will fit.

I want to take a 1991-1998 Toyota Corolla 1.8l Manual and switch the engine to a 3sgte 5speed with a mr2 tranny, the engine mounts should swap like a st to gt celica, but what I need to know is if the mr2 tranny will fit or if I'll need custom tranny mounts and if I'm going to need to relocate stuff in the engine bay. Also will the drive shaft be fine or will it need have custom work done as well. Also for wiring an I going to need a new cluster or will the corollas cluster plug and play?

Hi there. When it comes to swapping engines for your vehicle, what you can do is check all of the engine mounts and transmission mounts and make sure that they will work. If the mounts are a little off but there is room, then you may have to retro fit a custom mount. Check the length of the engine and the transmission assembly together. Make sure that the assembly is the same length. It may be okay if it’s a few inches shorter or longer, however, it cannot exceed 3 inches or the assembly will not fit. There has to be room for the engine to move around. Also, keep in mind, the CV shafts may not match up to the transmission and wheel hubs, especially if the transmission is shorter or longer. If you need further assistance with swapping your engine with another engine, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Engine swap details needed. I need to know if the swap will fit.