Q: Engine sputtering and "service traction system" control light coming on

I have a well-maintained vehicle that ran fine until certain engine problems occurred. During acceleration, the engine started sputtering and showing reduced engine power by the dash light. It also happens if I restart it. There is also, the "service traction system" control light appearing. How to fix these issues?

The Powertrain Control Module needs to be scanned to see if there are any stored codes. A possible issue could be the mass air sensor, as this sets up initial injection timing. The air mass meter needs to be removed to be inspected and possibly cleaned. You should also check the induction system connections, such as hose clamps and induction system piping, for cracks or looseness.

Other possibilities include contaminated connections at the Powertrain Module, but generally this will illuminate the Check Engine Light whereas a faulty air mass meter will not. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will be able to read out and correct codes for your Traction Control Light and correct the engine’s loss of power issue.

3. Engine sputtering and "service traction system" control light coming on