Q: Engine sputtering and hesitating

asked by on February 12, 2016

My car's engine sputters and hesitates when I step on the gas pedal.

Engine is sputtering Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. This problem has a number of potential sources. If you have serviced the vehicle on schedule, determine if the sputtering occurred gradually, or happened suddenly. The sputtering could be from a fuel filter, fuel pump ,or fuel pickup problem, which may be limiting the amount of fuel going into the engine; an Engine Warning Light should have come on, in cases like these. Start with having an OBD II scanner test done to find the faults. This should be done very soon to prevent damage to the engine. I suggest hiring a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect and diagnose the source and cause of your engine’s sputtering.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr