Q: Engine sounds louder than normal

asked by on December 30, 2016

I'm not sure if it is just a coincidence or not but I had a couple tires replaced recently and my car is making a consistent rumbling while driving. It gets a bit louder with higher speeds and considerably softer at low speeds. It had snowed and a lot of salt and muck is on the road but im not sure that has anything to do with it. It just sounds like the engine is having to work harder than normal. Also I should point out that I see no other issues. Power is fine, cooling system is fine, etc. The alignment feels off and that's about it.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The rumbling is likely due to the new tread on the tires. They are gripping the road much better than the old tires were, and you are hearing it when driving. The tire noise will eventually calm down. You should inspect them for proper air pressure at the least just to be safe. These types of noises can get louder with low pressure. New tires will work the suspension and steering differently. You may want to have the vehicle aligned. If the engine continues to act up, then you will want to look further into engine issues. A loss of power is typically spark or fuel related. Consider the last time you changed the spark plugs or fuel filter. The tires and engine are likely two different issues. Although, I do not believe the new tires are having an issue with the information given. Contact our service department for more diagnostic help if either problem worsens.