Q: engine rebuild

if you were to do an engine rebuild yourself how long would long would it take in hours to finish

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. This question depends on the amount of experience you have. If you have little to some experience, then the engine rebuild could take you upwards of 2 to 3 weeks with taking your time. If you have extensive knowledge in rebuilding an engine, then it would take about 18 to 24 hours, depending on the engine and if you were to run into any snags. If you are planning on rebuilding your engine, I suggest taking pictures of the engine and the parts that you take off and take your time. Follow a rebuild instructions manual for your vehicle and you also have to keep in mind, rebuild also includes measuring all of the engine moving parts to ensure that they can be replaced or reused.