Q: Engine rattled, something fell out, and engine died

The weather was fine, smooth road, and all conditions were normal when I was driving. I started hearing a rattle that seemed to be coming from the engine. That was followed by something rattling within the engine compartment and then it sounded like it fell out. Immediately, the engine died and I coasted to the shoulder of the road. The dealership found a faulty water pump which had caused the water pump pulley to fall off. Besides the water pump failing, this also caused damage to the: valves, cover, water pump, cylinder head, and timing belt. I learned from the dealer that this is a known problem with my make/model and that they had already made repairs for other drivers. I was also told that there was an updated water pump part that has metal rather than plastic to endure the engine heat, which they said was what caused the water pump to fail. They advised I should have this done. I was also there for an appointment previously made to have a regularly scheduled maintenance. The dealer did not check the water pump and he did not tell me that it might be faulty, which they had to admit later that it was a known problem with my car. Please give me your advise as to what I should do to get my car fixed properly.

Hello. I would go ahead and follow the dealership’s recommendation and have the updated water pump installed. I would also recommend having the belts, and any other pulleys, replaced if possible. If the vehicle is still under factory warranty then the dealership is not liable for any repairs, however I would talk to them about the issue to see if they may be able to help. If not, have the water pump and associated components replaced by a certified technician from YourMechanic as soon as possible, as the vehicle cannot function without these components.