Q: Engine Oil Pressure warning light

Hello Team, I have a chevy sail sedan which has this engine oil pressure warning coming up frequently and goes off once i switch off the engine. Once i start after a gap of 15 mins the warning sign does not come up. This has been happening for a month now and the mechanic has identified that the crankshaft is damaged. Could you confirm if the engine oil pressure warning light was addressed earlier then crankshaft damage could have been avoided?

Hi There, Unfortunately, there is no way to confirm definitively that the oil pressure warning light not working properly would have caused the crankshaft damage as there are other factors that can damage a crankshaft. Bad main bearings can also contribute to crankshafts being damaged, however there is a likely connection between the oil pressure light not coming on resulting in no indication that the engine is low on oil and the crankshaft being damaged by lack of proper lubrication. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to provide an additional opinion.