Q: Engine occasionaly and momentarily completely loses power, especially at freeway speeds.

Engine completely loses power for a few seconds, usually at sustained high RPMs. Power loss, and occasional periods of low power and difficulty starting increase over time. Mechanic has replaced ignition coils 3 times in the last 5 years which fixes the problem - for a year or so. My question is, what is causing such a high failure rate? There must be an underlying problem that is creating this unacceptable, dangerous, and repeated failure. Thanks for your time!

A: Hello and thank you for your question. The ...

Hello and thank you for your question. The ignition system on your Volkswagen 2001 is simple and complex at the same time. If you are having to keep replacing ignition coils every couple of years, there may be a problem with the ignition trigger.

Your computer in the vehicle picks up signal from the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor to signal a timing of when the trigger is to happen. When driving the vehicle at high RPM’s (meaning more than 4,000 RPM’s) then the camshaft and crankshaft sensors are probability not sending the proper signal to the computer. The computer sees this and cuts out the ignition until the signal is obtained.

I recommend replacing the camshaft and crankshaft sensors and retest the vehicle. If this does not fix the vehicle, then you may need to replace the computer in the vehicle. I recommend having a professional, like one from YourMechanic, help you diagnose your loss of power and make the necessary repairs to the vehicle.