Q: Engine not sparking; van cranks but won't turn over

I am trying to figure out what is keeping my engine from sparking. The motor keeps cranking but the engine just will not turn over. It is not a fuel problem and I am 100% positive that it is a spark problem. I removed the cap and the rotor turned when I cranked the engine. I am not a mechanic, but know a little about cars and do most of my own maintenance. I am hoping that you can give me some solutions so I won't have to replace everything in my van before finding the fix.

If you are sure the fuel system is working correctly via pressure and injector firing, then the ignition would be logical to look at. Whether you have a 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder engine the ignition system is similar. The ignition has 5 main components that supply ignition system voltage to the spark plugs. The ignition coil supplies the necessary voltage. It is triggered by a camshaft sensor in the distributor and ignition voltage is routed to the correct spark plug vis the distributor rotor, cap and wires. No spark to any of the spark plugs indicates a failure of either the coil, sensor, distributor, or rotor. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have tools and training to diagnose your no-start issue.

3. Engine not sparking; van cranks but won't turn over