Q: Engine loses power, revs high, cannot shift gears - 2014 Nissan Rogue

My car has been losing power while running lately. This happens only sporadically and weeks can go by without any problems. However, when it happens, it can be very dangerous and I'm concerned I might get into a collision. While I'm in the traffic and accelerate, the engine seems to lose power. The engine would ocassionally start revving high and I wouldn't be able to shift to higher gears. This happened on the highway as well as in the stop-and-go traffic. I went to the dealership several times but there is no solution to this problem yet. Do you have any idea what might be causing this?

Hello. It sounds like there is an intermittent problem with the throttle position sensor or the idle air control valve. These two sensors are made into the throttle body and the throttle body assembly would have to be replaced in order to fix the problem. There could also be a problem with the PCM not controlling the two sensors properly. To have this all checked, a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to inspect the loss of power and shifting issue for this to be correctly repaired.

• Engine loses power, revs high, cannot shift gears - 2014 Nissan Rogue