Q: Engine loses power occasionally

I have a 2000 Lincoln Town car. The other day I was driving on a freeway and my engine lost power. It wouldn't go over 35 mph. It does it once in a while, not all the time.

First thing you’d want to do, if you haven’t already, is to change the fuel filter. If you did, you’d want to check the catalytic converter, because when the catalytic converter starts to clog up, it can’t exit the exhaust fast enough and the engine will only go to a certain speed and not further. So you’d want to check that.

If you need help with this, have a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your engine’s loss of power because it can get really complicated on those Lincoln Town cars if it is a computer or fuel injection problem. After inspection, they will be able to make a diagnosis and help with a proper repair.