Q: Engine cranks but won't start.

My truck died while driving. Check engine light and A/T oil temp lights are on. Codes that come up are p0230 feul pump primary circuit, p0171 p0174 system too lean banks 1&2, and p0101 mass air flow circuit range/performance problem. I can hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key and I see there are no relays or fuses to check.

Your P0101 may be related to the 171 and 174. Any and all of these can be caused by an air leak. Check under the hood for vacuum lines or air boots that have come off or are not well attached. However, it takes a huge air leak to shut your car off while driving, so I suspect the problem you want most to fix doesn’t lie there. The P0230 says that the ECU is not activating the fuel pump relay. It might be that you are hearing something else, the fuel pump is inside the fuel tank so it is very difficult to hear from the driver’s seat. The best way to verify fuel pump operation is a fuel pressure test. from there you can do the necessary step by step tests to determine why your truck won’t start. If you want some help with your diagnosis you can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office to check out your truck and find out why it won’t start.