Q: Engine block rod came out. Now I need to change my engine.

I threw a rod through the engine block. I know that i need a new engine. I am told that a jeep liberty from 2002-2003 has an engine that is interchangeable and because i cannot find a cheap used 2.4l engine anywhere because it is fairly rare i am looking into what i can do. The liberty engine is a 3.7l and its 6 cylinders while mine was a 2.4 and 4 cylinders. Is this going to be an issue to change? Like wouldn't i need to adjust the computer and whatnot to make this work?

The 3.7 liter V6 engine from the Liberty was also an option on the Wrangler. However, in order to replace the engine to a V6, replacement of the powertrain control module would be required to make this work. Different engine mounts, brackets, A/C and power steering lines, as well as electrical connectors may be required to make this work. Unless you are doing an engine swap for performance, I would recommend against doing this replacement considering all the work involved. If you can not find another four cylinder engine for your vehicle, unfortunately, it will likely cost much more to install the V6 and might be more beneficial to search for another vehicle

Hi there. The best thing to do is swap your engine out for the same engine that is currently in the vehicle. The engine shops that build up engines should have the long block for your vehicle. If the cylinder head is serviceable, then you will only need a short block. If you intend to change the engine from a 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder, then the ECM must be flashed (programmed) to accept the 6 cylinder, unless the ECM has the functions for cylinder 5 and 6. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with your engine.