Q: Electrical problems in the vehicle

About ten days ago, the car stared developing some electrical problems. I wasn't ableto start the car. Nothing worked as if the battery died out. There was no sound of the engine turning over. The radio didn't work and neither had the dashboard. I had the car jump-started and get it running. However, several days ago, the problem occurred again and as the jumpstart didn't help, I had to get the car towed to the mechanic. He had the wire replaced and the car was fixed. Yestrday, the electrical components in the car started malfunctioning. The dials on the dahsboard stopped wroking, speedometer and gas gauge quit as well. Odometer keeps showing the same mileage. I can't get the "trip meter" to work. The temperature gauge shows "C". What might be the issue now? Is it somehow related to the previous problem?

Hello. From the symptoms you describe, it appears that you are having some sort of mildly serious electrical issue. You mention that one of the battery cables was replaced, I would check to make sure that both cables, and any chassis grounds are also in good condition, as a poor ground connection can produce the symptoms you are experiencing. I would then move on to checking the vehicle’s charging system, as a faulty alternator or voltage regulator can sometimes cause similar issues. If those two things are fine, I would then move on to looking at the vehicle’s body control module (BCM). It is not uncommon for the BCM’s in early 2000’s GM vehicle’s to go bad, and cause the symptoms you are experiencing. As electrical issues can often times be difficult to diagnose, I would recommend having a certified technician from YourMechanic do a proper diagnosis of your electrical components to determine the exact nature of the issue.