Q: Electrical fault

hey,

I recently had my car broken into its a *&!@ , they took the stereo and my power amp and now my battery is dead in the car, after some basic knowledge i put electrical tape over the power amp cables that are connected to the battery to stop them from cutting out the car. The car has been jump started and can only be driven for a few minutes before the lights start dimming and the rev counter and speedometer start bouncing from 0 upwards. It almost sounds like the engine is not getting what it needs then eventually cuts out. They also cut the alarm system. Im not sure im my alternator is damaged or wether the power is getting short circuited from one of the cut leads. They broke into it maybe a week and a half ago. I noticed the battery light yesterday and the car broke down today. Also the power amp and stereo that was stolen was put in there after the purchase of the car, not by myself.

If you need any more information ill be waiting.

Thank you,

Mike

Getting your car broken into is a pain! Often the thieves do thousands of dollars of damage to your car to steal a hundred dollars worth of stuff. It can take a long time to sort everything out.

It sound like something they did something that damaged or disabled the alternator so you have been driving on battery power since then. After a few days of driving, the battery was sufficiently depleted that it can’t maintain enough voltage to keep the car running anymore.

I suggest you contact YourMechanic and they can send you a technician to sort out the damaged wiring and test your battery and charging system. Then you can discuss what needs to be done next.