Q: Dry grinding/starting noise when in gear

Today we finished replacing an 05 accord tranny (and clutch) with 207 thousand something miles, with an 06 accord tranny with 127000 miles. After driving the car for about 10 minutes I noticed a faint balloon losing air type sound from just in front of me inside the engine. When I got on the highway it kept getting louder and higher as I sped up. It almost sounded as if something were about to explode. Then when I would take my foot off the accelerator there would be a clanging/dry grinding sound. That sound was very similar to when you first start the car but quieter and constant. The car would also jerk back and forth a bit when I took my foot off the gas. The sound is completely gone when coasting in neutral or with the clutch depressed. The best way to describe it is : My car has 2 engines (Metaphorical). One sounds fine and the other sounds like its got a dry throat and is grinding against something. I also have low coolant, and unknown tranny fluid. Any ideas?

Hi there. Sounds as if the transmission is low on fluid or the transmission is worn and has roller bearings that are damaged. Check the transmission oil level and see if the fluid is low. The fluid should slightly run out of the fill hole and not be any lower than one knuckle deep on the index finger. If the fluid is good and full, then the bearings are worn and either the transmission would need rebuilt or replaced. If you need further assistance with the grinding noise, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Dry grinding/starting noise when in gear