Q: Drove in rain, parked for a day, car won't start

asked by on September 20, 2016

After driving 2 hours in rain, I parked my car for a day, and then this morning the car wouldn’t start. It will crank over, but won’t fire up. When cranking, I can see a spark on the outside of the distributor. I checked the wires and I see that there is spark getting to the plugs. Is it common for there to be a spark outside the distributor and if not, what should I do next to fix this?

Distributor Rotor and Cap Replacement $103.97 - $279.74 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

No, absolutely not. The good news is that this is such an obvious problem, I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that you have a cracked or otherwise failed distributer cap. Replace that cap and you should be good to go. If you would like to have this inspected, a certified professional from YourMechanic can pinpoint the cause of the no-start and let you know what should be done.