Q: Driver side door won't close

I recently bought my Jetta, and the driver side door will not close properly, which results in the door staying open. This has happened several times now. How can I fix the faulty door lock?

If the door will not close all the way no matter how hard you shut the door, the door latch may be damaged. To replace the door latch would involve the removal of the door panel, the noise canceling material, and possibly the door window.

Once all of these parts have been removed, the door latch should be accessible. The bolts that hold the door latch in should be easily accessible from the outside of the door. Loosen all the bolts to the latch and remove it from the inside. Before removal, ensure that all the mechanical rods that are connected to the latch are also removed.

For best results, enlist the assistance of a mobile technician from YourMechanic to come to your home or business and replace your door latch.