Q: Drive shaft shakes bad

When I'm driving my 5 speed 4x4 and let my foot off the gas pedal the drive shaft starts to shake back and forth really bad. It caused my U joint to break, and it shakes 3 or 4 times before it stops. But it will do this again every time you let your foot off the gas. I've taken it to repair shops all over, and no one can figure out what’s wrong. Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

From your description I believe that there may be a problem in the rear differential of your vehicle. More specifically the pinion bearings. It sounds like they may have gone bad and this has caused excess movement in the drive shaft. Deceleration changes the meshing of the rear end gears and can cause the pinion to shift if the bearings are bad. This would explain the driveshaft shaking. This situation could have been made worse by a faulty universal joint that eventually broke. If you need help having this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the shaking condition and let you know what should be done.

3. Drive shaft shakes bad