Q: Why doesn't my door open from the outside?

asked by on November 22, 2016

Hi we had freezing rain in my area at night and in the morning when I went to open my door it was stuck I pushed on the door and chipped all the ice off the door line and after pushing for a bit it open. Handle still worked on outside..however the next day the door would not open and had to open from inside..the door handle moves but doesn't have the same pressure to it when lifted.do I have to replace the whole handle or is there a different fix. Low on cash prefer a cheaper solution of there is one

To determine what exactly has failed, it will be necessary to remove the inner door panel and look to see what part(s) have actually failed. The most common failures, when an outer door handle quits working, is a broken door handle, a failed retaining clip for the actuator rod, or bent linkage. In any of the situations listed, it will be necessary to physically look at the handle assembly, from the inside, to diagnose the failure. If this is something you feel you could use a hand with, to diagnose or repair, consult a certified mechanic, like those available at YourMechanic.com.