Q: Do I need to be there when the mechanic comes?

I want to have a pre-purchase car inspection. The problem is, I cannot be there when the mechanic comes. Can you mechanic talk to the dealer and inspect the car without my appearance? Of course I will talk to the dealer first about this.

Yes. The mechanic can go and do the inspection without you being there. I have done a few inspections this way. The mechanic will contact you that they have arrived and after the inspection is done. All you have to do is supply the dealer of this information - the mechanic is coming to inspect the car and road test it.