Q: Do I need a new alternator?

While driving my car just idled out. I had a friend jump me off but the battery wouldn't stay on after he took the cables off.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to provide my insight. This kind of problem may be caused by the alternator not charging at all. The charging system should be tested and checked first to make sure a fuse did not blow, or if the battery went bad and shorted out the alternator.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.