Q: Dash light flicker, light switch hot

The dash lights start flickering each time I drive for only several minutes. The light switch in my car becomes very hot as well when the lights begin to flicker. The battery is new and so is the alternator. What might be the problem?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais. There is the possibility of a cross connection inside the switch due to a failure in the assembly or corrosion going across the switch contacts. This may explain why the switch itself it getting hot. Hire an experienced technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect the circuit and find the problem at the comfort of your home or office.