Q: Crossed battery terminals now 02 Ford Explorer won't start

asked by on March 01, 2018

I accidentally crossed the battery terminals,there was smoke but I replaced the battery again and it started,the next day I noticed the instruments in my dash were not reading and the truck died, I put my jumper on it and it cranked up, when I took it off it died,there are no lights at all when I turn the key

Hi Bryan. Thanks for contacting us today. This might be due to a damaged electrical relay or perhaps the battery cables themselves were damaged during the cross-connection. It is also possible that the ECU may have been damaged or other communication fault codes have been triggered that are disabling the ignition system. It is probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location to help diagnose this problem before you attempt any repairs.