Q: Cranking after the engine is started

My track has intermittent issues with cranking even after the engine is started up. If I turn the vehicle on and let go of the key, it would still crank. The duration of cranking changes. It would occasionally last only for a short while, whereas other times I have to put the key back and stop it manually. What is causing this?

A: It may be the starter relay in the underhoo...

It may be the starter relay in the underhood relay fuse box sticking or the starter solenoid sticking. The small relay would be my first choice to replace first. If it continues, then try replacing the starter. Before replacing any parts check to see if your ignition switch is under recall by calling the dealer and run your vehicle ID number to check. You may have a sticking ignition switch that is keeping the relays on. If you want this checked, a local expert can come to your car’s location to diagnosed the prolonged cranking issue.