Q: Could my fuel pump be bad after running out of gas?

My fuel guage isn't working right i ran out of gas put two gallons of gas in and will crank but won't start. Could it be my fuel pump? Also could my fuel pump be the cause of my guage not working right?

Hello There, It sounds like you may have a faulty fuel pump that may have been damaged as a result of running it out of fuel. As you may know, today’s fuel pumps require the fuel to keep them cool and lubricated. When the motor is run dry out of fuel, this can cause the fuel pump to heat up in excess of what it should potentially causing damage to the pump by overheating it. As a result, depending on the extent of the damage you may experience issues related to maintaining proper fuel pressure and fuel flow.

The fuel tank sending unit is a small float type component (or sensor) inside your fuel tank that measures the level of the fuel inside the tank. As the fuel level drops, this change is detected and relayed in the form of a signal to the car’s computer which then displays the reading on the fuel gauge in your dash. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your fuel sending unit. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your fuel system.