Q: Coolant control valve malfunction

asked by on February 18, 2016

The Check Engine light was on. I went to the dealer, and they said I need to replace the coolant control valve malfunction.

The coolant control valve on your Toyota Prius controls the flow of coolant in and out of the coolant storage tank. By diverting coolant into the storage tank, it can keep the coolant heated in order to keep the engine at operating temperature, allowing it can run more efficiently as well as allow the use of the heater even when the engine is not running. This valve can become stuck over time and the computer recognizes that there is incorrect coolant flow. When this happens, a Check Engine Light will illuminate and open the OBD code P1122. This is a pretty straight forward repair, so I would recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic to come by verify this concern and make the necessary repairs to get your cooling system 100% operational again.