Q: Clutch pedal doesn't come back up

When I press the clutch to shift the pedal doesn't return to the start position. I have to slide my toe under the pedal to pull it back up. Furthermore, there is a lot of play from when I first start pressing the clutch to when it actually engages and the clutch feels extremely shallow. Thanks.

A: You are experiencing the effects of a worn ...

You are experiencing the effects of a worn out clutch and pressure plate. It feels like there is a lot of play because the clutch disc is worn out. The pedal is not returning because the pressure plate springs are not pushing the slave cylinder back. When the pressure plate pushes back on the clutch slave cylinder, this pushes back on the master cylinder and pedal through the hydraulics of the clutch system.

It is also possible that there may only be a problem with the clutch hydraulic system causing the problem with your pedal. However, based on the mileage of your vehicle, it is more likely that the clutch and pressure plate have worn out.

I would ask for help from one of the mechanics at YourMechanic to come to your home or office and inspect your clutch pedal issue to see what is needed to repair your clutch.