Q: Check engine light on, MAF sensor code on 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

I've been getting codes that indicate an issue with the MAF sensor. So, I had the MAF replaced. However, the dashboard shows the check engine light on despite replacing it. What could be the problem?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche. The Check Engine Light code received for the MAF sensor means that a pinpoint test is required on the MAF circuit. It does not necessarily mean the sensor is bad. You will need to have the system looked at more closely to make sure the proper repair is made. You may have a broken wire, shorted wire, or loose or corroded connections at the ECM. There are actually many possibilities depending on the actual code received. If you need help having this checked, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the code more thoroughly and let you know what should be done.