Q: Check Engine Light is on with the P0451 code

i have  a 2006 f150 with the P0451 engine code for the evaporative emission system pressure switch. when I put fuel in the tank, the nozzle stops like the tank is full but it isnt. would the problem be the fuel tank pressure sensor? if it is would unplugging it let me fill the tank with no problems? what else could it most likely be?

Hi there:

Unplugging the fuel tank pressure system would unleash an entirely different set of problems - mainly the truck wouldn’t start. This error code typically indicates that the EVAP vent solenoid is damaged or faulty, which creates excess pressure inside the fuel tank and can cause the problem you’re having. I’d recommend having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, complete a further digital scan to determine precisely which of the EVAP sensors or valves is causing this problem then replacing it, reset all error codes, and see if the issue goes away.