Q: Check engine light does not come on

So I went to get my smog check and the worker said he can't do a smog check because my car engine light does not come on when I start the car .(it would always show before but the light just went out )He said I must get that fix then I can get a smog check. I went to the magic touch automotive mechanic shop and they said In order for the light to come on I need to get the 0.2 sensor , coolant sensor , stop light switch replace after he diagnostic my car. I'm not trusting him, I just wanted to know if it was true. Or is there a light that just needs to be fixed in order for the engine light to turn on.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle turns the check engine light on when the vehicle starts to show that it is running its tests. The tech is looking for this so that they know the system has not be tampered with. Its possible for the light to have burned out, but it is not terribly common. It is more common for the light to be unplugged or damaged. You can go have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic codes to see if there are any obvious problems that the computer has detected. It is also a great idea to get a second opinion on the components he suggested to replace. It is almost impossible to say that the light needs fixed, or if there is another problem with the OBD-II system at this time. Only further testing will tell. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department.