Q: Car won't turn over; clicking, grinding sound

I replaced the alternator, had the battery replaced, and checked all of the cables. A few hours later, the car wouldn't turn over, and I hear a grinding, clicking sound.

The system would have to be checked to see if the alternator you put in shorted and killed the battery; I have seen new alternators kill a battery from being shorted inside them. It could also be that the battery just failed inside, or the electrical system has a large draw that killed the battery. I recommend having a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, check your vehicle out to diagnose your startup problem.