Q: Car won't start unless parking break is off

Battery and alternator are only 1 year old, so these should be fine. Lights, radio etc would turn on, but no sound from the engine. After trying to start the car about 30 times (including trying to jump start it),I put the parking break down (off) and the car started without problems. This happened more than a once, but only intermittently.

My car has a automatic transmission.

It sounds like you may have a wire pinched or some kind of electrical wiring problem as this is not normal. On most vehicles when the parking brake is engaged, this triggers a light in the dash indicating that the parking brake is set. This is there to remind the driver to release the parking brake before moving the vehicle. In some cases, this light switch will fail resulting in the light not coming on. In addition, this switch may be causing other problems with wiring in your case. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at the vehicle.

3. Car won't start unless parking break is off